Jul 5, 2011

Turned Pieces by John Beaver

John Beaver's Artist Statement from his website-

"I enjoy including a certain "how did he do that?" factor into my pieces while staying true to good design. Having lived my entire life near the Pacific Ocean, the motion and rhythm of the ocean's waves are a major inspiration for my work. Contrast is also an important element for me, not only aesthetically but in the process of turning a functional object, like a bowl, into an “object d’art.” Artistically I like to combine multiple woods with dyes and textures to enhance the rhythmic lines that are a part of my work. The technical genesis of these works lies in my ability to deconstruct and reconstruct a turned vessel in a number of different ways while maintaining grain and wall alignment. I hope that my pieces will evoke a feeling of movement and energy in an otherwise static environment."

Providing top quality exotics to artists such John is the reason we love doing what we do. Sourcing out rare and hard to find pieces of wood is one thing but "turning" them into amazing pieces of art is something entirely different. As we always say, "...we just sell the wood, it's our customers who have all the talent."

Below are some images from John website www.johnbeaver.net
using wood purchased here at TEH-


Cocobolo Bowl




Bloodwood/Maple Bowl



Resin Vein Eucalyptus Burl Bowl




Here is John's Cocobolo bowl spotted at this year's
"Design in Wood" exhibit at the 2011 San Diego County Fair

For more on John Beaver and his artwork, please visit his website-
www.johnbeaver.net

Click here to visit our customer gallery.


No comments: