Jan 14, 2013

Jerry Glaser R.I.P.

Last week I learned that my old friend and mentor Jerry Glaser passed away at 93 years old.

I met Jerry back in the late 70's through a mutual friend, Jerry McCabe of McCabe's Guitar shop and Erin Furniture in Venice, CA. This was a period when The Cutting Edge was the center of fine woodworking and woodturning was taking off. A need for exotic woods drove me to supplying the industry, and Jerry Glaser advised me on what turners needed. I took his advice and became a major supplier within the American Association of Woodturners (AAW). 

Up until a few years a go, I had attended all the Symposiums with Jerry present most of the time in the early years. The first major AAW Symposium was held at the Lexington Center in Lexington, Ky. in 1986. Jerry and I traveled together and were invited to Rude Osolnik's home in Brea afterwords. It was a memorial visit which I treasure. On Bob Stocksdale's 80th birthday, Jerry made Bob a special snakewood handled, gold plated, Glaser gouge. He made three extras and gave me one. 

The picture below is at the Pasadena AAW Symposium where I brought the gouge to show him. Sam Maloof was famous for taking guests out to lunch and Jerry and I were present many times. The most level headed person I have ever met, Jerry with his even tempered personality could cut to the chase with answers and always have an interest in what you had to say. A smile or a lifted eyebrow would give an answer you could take to the bank. 

I am proud that I was able to know Jerry and thank him for his friendship and advise. We at Tropical Exotic Hardwoods wish to send our condolences to his wife Janet and his family at this time of great sorrow.

-Mitch Talcove


No comments: